2007-07-20

Trip to Osaka Area 070720 - 26 (1)

(Rose Garden in the Nakanoshima Island inside of Osaka City)


This is the 3rd time I came to Osaka this year. Still cannot believe that I'd fall in love with this "addicted-to-express-oneself" city only at the end of my 4-year stay in Japan.


Actually I've seen nearly most of tourist attractions in Osaka city during my last two visits (still need to put them in my blog ;-)) except for the supposedly famous aquarium and Universal Studio. As it's easy to find substitutes for both, they simply cannot get any appeal in my visiting schedule. I came back here this time for a special reason - TENJIN MATSURI (天神祭, i.e. festival of heavenly deity).

(Tenjin Matsuri - chariot carried out from Tenmangu Shrine)


Apart from 2-day matsuri, I took the chance to visit the earliest Buddhist holy mountain in Japan - Koyasan (高野山) and explore the 21.5 km pilgrimage track (Choishimichi, 町石道) used by numerous devout Buddhist monks and religious Japanese since around 900AD. It's a very refreshing 2 days of sun & forest bathing, and I felt recharged with energy.

(The Kohondaito - Essential Pagoda - in Koyasan)


Well, all in all, Osaka area (incl. its neighbouring Kyoto, Kobe, Nara and Wakayama prefecture etc.) is a region where one can always find something interesting to do and frequently gets oneself surprised by novelty. If you are curious about what kind of city it is, stay tuned for the coming stories...

No comments: