2007-06-21

070607 - 12 Trip to HK III - Gourmet's Paradise 2






If you don't have a local gourmet to guide your palate, you'll probably never be able to find Lin Heung Tea House (蓮香樓) at Central Hong Kong.

Before my best friend SY, married with a HK guy and living in HK for 10 year, took me there, she warned me seriously that Lin Heung Tea House is not a FANCY restaurant, and I probably would feel very uncomfortable with their rather shabby outlook, chaotic atmosphere and lack of service. She, however, definitely wanted to show me this typical Cantonese restaurant, for it might be the last one which still serves dim-sum (or yam-cha in Cantonese) in the old way. It's, of course, not a difficult task to satisfy someone just getting back from Nepal, especially concerning food.

To my surprise, it turned out to be one of the best experiences I had in HK during my 4-day visit. I enjoyed its food and atmosphere so much that I even went there twice. A Hong-konger sitting next to me during my second "tasting" told me that he is a regular there, and it's the BEST DIM SUM restaurant one can find in HK. I believe him, for my friend SY's husband's grand grandfather went there for dim sum, and it's a well-know dim sum place with over 80 years history.

Savour delicious dim sum in an authentic set with a sort of melancholic atmosphere when you are in Hong-Kong next time. As a gourmet, you wouldn't want to miss it.

The restaurant is at the Wellington Str, next to the SOHO restaurant area.

No comments: